Health Care & Insurance

Virginia Tech students may purchase Aetna health insurance coverage through the university. Non-VT students should make arrangements with their home universities or obtain private coverage. Please note that students on J-1 visa status must have health insurance in effect at all times!

You may learn more about the VT Aetna plan on the Student Medical Insurance site or apply directly for a plan at Graduate assistants should choose the “graduate student subsidy plan” option when applying for insurance through Aetna. See “How to Enroll in Plans” on the Student Medical Insurance page for instructions.

If you have medical questions and would like to contact the VT Schiffert Health Center, please call (540) 231-6444 or send an e-mail to Be aware that the Health Center cannot provide medical advice via e-mail.

The VT Cook Counseling Center now offers telehealth counseling services to students in any location. Visit for further information, and click “How to Connect with Cook” to schedule a virtual session.