GRA Opening: GIS Programmer/Analyst
For the academic year beginning in Fall 2016, the Enterprise GIS units of Virginia Tech’s central IT organization seeks a highly-motivated graduate student with GIS programming, GIS analysis and/or web design skills to support a variety of projects as assigned in a technical team environment, using an evolving set of best-practice tools, libraries and techniques.
The successful candidate will be responsible for a variety of GIS-related programming tasks including:
* Developing scripts to automate GIS data management and server administration tasks
* Performing mapping and analysis tasks
* Developing and maintaining GIS-enabled web applications
Required experience: Python programming, Tools and APIs related to the ESRI ArcGIS platform
Other relevant experience, in descending order of preference:
* Working in a distributed team environment
* ESRI GIS software, including ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Online
* Revision control, especially Git
* REST/SOAP Service-oriented Architecture
* Bootstrap and mobile-first design principles
* Open-source GIS server tools (e.g., GeoServer, PostGIS, Geoportal Server)
* Security, safety and/or facilities management application domains
* SQL ( MySQL/ PostgreSQL /Oracle)
Candidates with a subset of the preferred skill set that can demonstrate programming proficiency and a willingness to learn the GIS-specific aspects of the work are encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time GRA (20 hr/wk), beginning in Fall semester 2016 and continuing for a full year (through August 2017). Renewal beyond this point, while possible, cannot be guaranteed upon hiring and will be contingent on funding availability, continued interest of the student, and the faculty supervisors’ assessment of student’s performance.
Interested students should forward a current resume and a cover letter explaining their interest in and qualification for the position as soon as possible to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will remain open until filled.