Student sketches a landscape.

Undergraduate Admissions

undergraduate admissions application

All applications for admission to undergraduate programs within the School of Architecture and School of Design must be completed through the Virginia Tech Undergraduate Admissions office.

Online application site – Office of Undergraduate Admissions…

Frequently asked questions regarding admission to the undergraduate Architecture, Industrial Design, Interior Design, and Landscape Architecture Programs:

application deadline

Q: What is the application deadline?
A: Please visit the website of the University Undergraduate Admissions Office for information on Key Dates and Deadlines.

portfolio requirements

Q: Is a portfolio required for admission?
A: No. Many high schools do not teach art classes. Our Foundation Design Laboratories (ARCH 1015, 1016) provide the design fundamentals needed to be a successful designer. Admissions are primarily based on a student’s grade point average and SAT or ACT score. If you have questions regarding the admission criteria, please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office at; or

high school classes

Q: What classes should I take in high school to best prepare me for a major in Architecture, Industrial Design, Interior Design or Landscape Architecture?
A: Advanced placement courses in Math, Science, English, and Foreign Languages are the best preparatory courses. These classes show dedication to one’s learning and are the best preparation for taking the SAT exam. Art and architecture classes are encouraged, but not required.

foreign language requirement

Q: What is the foreign language requirement?
A: Students who do not complete 2 units of a foreign language in high school must earn 6 credits of college-level foreign language study; these credits are in addition to those normally required for graduation.

If you are a high school student trying to decide on a foreign language, Spanish would be a wise choice. Or, Italian would also be a good option. Our Europe Study Abroad Residency program is based in the Italian-speaking portion of Switzerland, and our Europe Study Abroad Travel program typically includes a 3-week segment in Italy due to the rich traditions of architectural and design excellence there.

internal transfer process

Q: I am a student currently enrolled at Virginia Tech, and I would like to transfer into the Architecture, Industrial Design, Interior Design or Landscape Architecture program. What is the process for acceptance?
A: We refer to currently enrolled Virginia Tech undergraduate students who want to change their major and transfer into Architecture, Industrial Design, Interior Design, or Landscape Architecture as “internal transfers.” An application must be submitted. Applications will be accepted beginning the first day of the spring semester. The application deadline is in mid-February.

Please see the Transfer Student Admissions page for more information and to access application forms.

Please review the internal transfer process for further information (Internal Transfer Process FAQ).

Internal Transfer Policy

Please Note: An information meeting will be held during the fall semester for students in University Studies who are interested in the internal transfer process.

Q: If I am accepted as an internal transfer student in Architecture, Industrial Design, Interior Design or Landscape Architecture, what happens next?
A: Students enrolled at Virginia tech who are accepted through the Internal transfer process are all required to take the Summer Qualifying Design Lab during the following first and second summer sessions.

ARCH 1115-1116 (Course Description)

external transfer students

Q: I am enrolled at another University or Community College (not a student at Virginia Tech), and I would like to transfer into the Architecture, Industrial Design, Interior Design, or Landscape Architecture program at Virginia Tech. What do I need to do?
A: The Undergraduate Admissions office no longer accepts applications for external transfer into the majors of Architecture and Industrial Design. Prospective external transfers into the Interior Design or Landscape Architecture programs should contact the University Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

credit transfers

Q: I have Advanced Placement, CLEP, International Baccalaureate, and/or credit from another institution. How can I find out if the credit will transfer to Virginia Tech?
A: You may access the Virginia Tech Undergraduate Transfer Equivalency Database to determine how credit taken through another institution will transfer to Virginia Tech.

You may access the AP, IB & CLEP information through the Registrar’s website to determine how this type of credit will transfer to Virginia Tech.

View Virginia Tech’s Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement…

Guide to Higher Education After Incarceration

More frequently-asked questions – prospective undergraduate students…

Student sketches a landscape.